Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Pay-A-Leak

"Now I gotta give a shout-out to Seagram's gin, cuz i drink it and they're payin' me for it."

- a delightful line from last year's Freak-a-Leak, 2004's most inventive and dancable and rap song (some readers may recall I called it as the Coming Thing in March). the song was, you may remember, Petey Pablo's raunchy, miles-over-the-top ode to himself and mysoginy.
spelled wrong, sorry. that line was in the final fade out of the song, literally shouted over the beat as the song ended (between Lil' John yelps).
it was, i thought, the final, hilariously absurd touch to a song of
absurd hyperbole. A rapper claiming that not only does he party so
hard that he needs to give his gin a shout out, but he's such a major
star that a gin maker pays him for it.
i laughed everytime I heard it - which was some percentage of the
350,000+ times the song played on American radio.
I know that number because, apparently, they WERE paying him for it.
It's the newest thing, apparently: paying rappers to plug products.
Pablo was one of the first. McDonald's just got into the biz this
summer. up to $5 per time the song plays on the radio.

Harry Shearer has the story on LeShow this past week: click on "The trades"

unreal.

matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great site you have here, WhiteNoise. I found is from my search for immune system. In my opinion., is a cut above the others. Even though my research regarding this post lead me here but match is not exact for this post, the content is very beneficial and rewarding. Thank you for reading my comment here.

Anonymous said...

WhiteNoise, This site came up when I was doing my research on cancer treatment. Even though my search for cancer treatment information to support this post may not end here, your site provides valuable content will certainly will perpetuate. Thanks for the read.

Anonymous said...

My visit to your site, WhiteNoise, was the results of the crohns search for information regarding the subject this post. Even though some of the articles on the site may not support the crohns project, I must say, it’s an informational and very interesting site and its content will benefit many. Thank you for reading my comment.

Anonymous said...

WhiteNoise, This site came up when I was doing my research on crohns. Even though my search for crohns information to support this post may not end here, your site provides valuable content will certainly will perpetuate. Thanks for the read.